BETWEEN ADAPTATION AND NOSTALGIA:
THE BULGARIAN TURKS IN TURKEY
FOREWORD - Antonina Zhelyazkova
THE SOCIAL AND CULTURAL ADAPTATION OF BULGARIAN IMMIGRANTS IN TURKEY- Antonina Zhelyazkova
MOTIVATION OF THE BULGARIAN TURKS TO MIGRATION - Tsvetana Gheorghieva
BULGARIAN TURKISH IMMIGRANTS OF 1989 IN THE REPUBLIC OF TURKEY - Donka Dimitrova
UNDERSTATED, OVEREXPOSED - Peter Krasztev
RELATION TO BULGARIA, THE BULGARIAN PEOPLE, AND THINGS BULGARIAN - Jale Hodja and Emil Milanov
QUESTIONNAIRE FOR A SEMI-STANDARDISED INTERVIEW
1. What are you studying and where?
2. For how many years have you studied in Bulgaria?
3. Why did you make up your mind to study this particular discipline and why did you choose this particular place?
4. Please make a comparison between education in Bulgaria and in Turkey.
5. What are the opportunities for the young people’s realisation in Bulgaria?
6. Realisation opportunities for young people in Turkey?
7. When did people live better - before 1984-1985 or after the changes in 1989?
a) in terms of quality of life - social benefits?, crime rates?...
b) in terms of rights and liberties.
8. Where is life better now - here or in Turkey?
9. Would you like your children to live in Bulgaria?
10. What is the attitude of those around to you?
11. Do you have any difficulties in your contacts with fellow-students of Bulgarian origin?
12. Have you any close friends among them?
13. What company do you keep?
14. How would you feel in the midst of Bulgarians alone?
15. Would you agree to your son’s/daughter’s marrying a Bulgarian girl/boy?
16. And to marrying a member of some other ethnic group, nation?
17. What is it that relates you to Bulgaria? What are the things you like here?
18. What is that you do not like here, what are you missing?
19. Do you maintain contacts with the local Turks?
20. Do you like Bulgarian music?
21. And Turkish music?
22. Do you speak Bulgarian when you are in Turkey?
23. What were the strong points of the immigrants from Bulgaria? What helped them to become settled and adapt more rapidly in the Republic of Turkey?
24. And the weak points? Why did some of them return?
25. Are you interested in politics?
26. Have you any knowledge of the existing parties?
27. Would you like to vote in the elections?
28. Please give your opinion of the political, economic and social changes in Bulgaria having taken place after 1989.
29. Who is to blame for the “revival process”?
30. Has it influenced you in any way?
31. Where do you live in Turkey?
32. Where did you leave from here?
33. For how many years have you been settled in Turkey?
34. Sex, age.